Forrest football officials will host a public meeting in a fortnight to determine if they can garner enough support for the club to return to the CDFL in 2017.
The Lions went into recess for the second time in their history this season, with a continued struggle to attract footballers to the small-town club a major factor in its decision.
Incoming president Graham Howard, who replaced Warren Miller last week because he couldn’t commit to the job due to travel commitments, has called for a public meeting on the night of the club’s November 9 annual meeting.
The committed Lion said the 2017 season was crucial for the resurgence of the club and has urged the Forrest faithful to attend the meeting at the Forrest Recreation Reserve.
“We’ve got a date set for a public meeting to try and get some support up and try to get the club up-and-running again,” Howard said.
“We’ve got to have the AGM that night, I believe we could defer and go into recess again for another 12 months if we wanted to, but I feel that if we get to that extent it’s going to be even harder to get it going again.
“I know it’s getting late, but unfortunately that’s the situation.
“The players that were originally here are getting older and even us on the committee are as well.”
Forrest went into recess for one season in 1986 before making a comeback the following year.
But club officials pulled the pin again in January on the eve of the 2016 season to reduce the competition to 10 clubs.
Howard said he was in discussions with 2014 and ’15 senior coach Adam Wells to contact former Forrest footballers interested in a possible return to the club next season.
“I’d like to get onto some of the ex-players that have played at Forrest that are still around the district,” he said.
“I think there are enough people that would like to see us going again, we may not be able to get enough players going, but we can only try.
“I’ve been doing a fair bit of homework to see what we can get going, I’ve been talking to Luke Maher from AFL Barwon, he’s aware of what’s going on, and we’re just going to try and get some more support,” Howard said.
“I’d like to see it up and going, I think it’s one of the best grounds in the Colac district league, if not the best, they’ve just spent a lot of money on it after the fires.”
Forrest was competitive in 2015 in the senior ranks, winning seven of its 16 games to just miss finals.
For the full story see today’s Colac Herald.