Crashes continue on district roads

A 19-year-old Colac woman escaped with minor injuries after the car she was travelling in rolled on the Colac-Forrest Road.

A MAN is recovering in hospital while a woman escaped serious injury after two road crashes in two hours in the Colac district.

A 51-year-old man is in Melbourne’s Alfred Hospital after he crashed his motorcycle in the Otway Ranges near Ferguson, south of Gellibrand.

Police say the man was riding north along Colac-Lavers Hill Road when he lost control of his bike and went down an embankment about 2.30pm Saturday.

Ambulance Victoria spokesman John Mullen said paramedics took the man to Gellibrand via a road vehicle before airlifting him to Melbourne with multiple rib fractures and suspected head injuries.

Mr Mullen said the man was in a serious but stable condition when he arrived at the Alfred Hospital about 5.30pm.

The crash is the second serious motorcycle accident in a month, after an unlicensed rider died on the same stretch of Colac-Lavers Hill Road between Gellibrand and Ferguson in December.

Meanwhile, less than two hours before the motorcycle crash, a 19-year-old Colac woman miraculously walked away after rolling her dad’s vehicle at Yeo, south-east of Colac.

Sergeant Murray Matthews of Colac police said the P-plate driver was on her way to Lorne when she “over corrected and lost control” of the Holden Crewman utility on Colac-Forrest Road.

Sgt Matthews said the woman freed herself from the vehicle before police arrived and was lucky to escape serious injury.

“She received minor scratches and cuts, that’s all,” Sgt Matthews said.

“A nurse that went past took her to hospital just to clean her up but she definitely wasn’t admitted, an ambulance wasn’t necessary,” he said.

“She was okay, just a little bit shocked she’d wrecked dad’s car.”

Sgt Matthews said police were still investigating the cause of the accident but said there was nothing to indicate the driver had acted illegally.

“We basically just need to speak to her, there were no other vehicles involved,” Sgt Matthews said.

“It’s a fairly good stretch of road, you wouldn’t usually expect it to happen there,” he said.

Sgt Matthews said Country Fire Authority crews attended to clean up after the crash.

Comments are closed.