The discovery of a Melbourne man’s body in bush at Irrewillipe has ended a search for a man wanted for questioning over an attack on a Colac Otway Shire councillor earlier this week.
Police media reported a member of the public found the man’s body on Wednesday and are not treating the man’s death as suspicious, with officers preparing a report for the coroner.
The discovery of the body by a member of the public followed a police search for a 66-year-old man, a father of five, wanted for questioning over an attack on Cr Chris Smith at a Colac church on Tuesday about noon.
Police reported on Tuesday that a man had allegedly fired a spear gun at the 53-year-old Swan Marsh man and then smashed his windscreen with a hammer as the councillor drove away from the scene.
Cr Smith said he had started understanding the seriousness of the week’s events after looking at the damaged leather-bound compendium, which had taken the brunt of the spear which the man had shot at his chest at close range.
“In my own mind I’ve been trying to rationalise it; while I know that I couldn’t have done anything differently and I did everything appropriately I know I’ll probably go through the ‘what ifs’,” he said.
“But I know it could have been me or another councillor or anyone else.
For the full story see today’s Colac Herald.