Birregurra’s Lewis Melican could return to the AFL ranks for the first time in almost two years during Sydney’s pre-season opener on Sunday.
Melican earned a spot in the Swans’ initial squad of 29 for their clash with North Melbourne at Coffs Harbour.
The 20-year-old, who has yet to make his senior AFL debut, first featured in a Sydney outfit at the same venue during his debut year in 2015, lining up in a practice match against Brisbane after a surprise call up.
Injury forced Melican to sit out last year’s pre-season campaign, and the former Birregurra player spent his second season in the AFL system plying his trade in the Swans’ NEAFL side.
Sydney coach John Longmire said the club was aiming to give its younger players an opportunity in Sunday’s clash against the Roos.
Former Otway Districts footballer Dean Towers and Cobden’s Gary Rohan are among senior players missing the match.
“It will be a mixture of some of the experienced players that people and supporters have seen running around over the last couple of years but also a number of our younger players,” Longmire told the club’s website yesterday.
For the full story see today’s Colac Herald.