PARAMEDICS took an Elliminyt man to hospital after a shed fire which destroyed two Harley Davidson motorcycles, a car and go-karts.
Authorities estimate the Harris Road blaze caused approximately $200,000 damage, destroying David Fraser’s motorcycles and Ford XR6 vehicle, six go-karts, a ride-on lawn mower, a trailer and tools.
Mr Fraser was working in his shed when the fire started.
Country Fire Authority district six operations officer Brian Brady said the blaze started from a gas heater.
“He had a little camp heater going and he went to adjust the gas connection on the cylinder and it basically blew up in his face,” Mr Brady said.
“He had superficial burns – we got the ambulance in and he went to hospital for a check up,” he said.
Mr Brady said about 30 firefighters from Colac, Irrewarra and Barongarook fire brigades fought Tuesday night’s fire and contained it to the shed.
“Even though the shed was lost, the fire was prevented from spreading to the house and prevented numerous gas cylinders from exploding,” Mr Brady said.
“Who knows what would have happened if that happened,” he said.
Colac Fire Brigade captain Mick Ritchie said the shed was ablaze when authorities arrived.
He Said the car’s LPG tank vented during the blaze and provided a “challenge” for firefighters.
“It hampered firefighters from getting right in, so we worked an external attack,” Mr Ritchie said.
“It took a couple of hours to knock it down, mop it up and declare it safe,” he said.
Fire crews were on the scene from 11.40pm Tuesday until 4am Wednesday.
Police, State Emergency Services and Powercor also attended.