A FAULTY wood heater caused up to $5000 damage to an Elliminyt home.
Colac Fire Brigade captain Mick Ritchie said the residents heard noises before discovering their wood heater’s flue was on fire.
“The fire escaped from the flue and started burning in the roof,” Mr Ritchie said.
“It’s probably a friendly reminder for people to have their heaters checked and cleaned,” he said.
Mr Ritchie said the fire caused between $3000 and $5000 damage to the home.
Two fire trucks attended the blaze about 4pm Saturday.
“The SES was called in to help in putting the roof back on that we removed,” Mr Ritchie said.
He said the fire was a reminder to homeowners to check their smoke alarm battery as colder weather sets in.